Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Grill 23 & Bar

My dad is visiting for the weekend, and I get to be special this weekend and choose to go to steakhouse for our first dinner together since 3 months ago!
First, I must say I love my dad. He is number one.

Anyway, dinner was with Dad and my friend. We went to Grill 23 in Back Bay. It was my second time. The atmosphere was less crowded than the last time I dined there. I love the open kitchen with bread table right there!

Menu:
Bread: the pumpernickel baguette bread with green raisin was the best. I also tried their flat crispy bread that had some kind of pepper on, their hard bread, and focaccia with mushrooms. I didn't love the focaccia.. but i LOVED their butter. Amazing. I think I probably had half of the butter served for the table. It had salt crystals in it. Delicious salted butter. mmm 

Appetizer- shared chopped up tuna sashimi and hamachi sashimi. They were delicately chopped and sliced. It came with two sauces that were on the side: one green and one red. Couldn't tell what it was, but the red one was a little bit spicy. The portion was really small, though. The hamachi had some sprinkles on top, which I couldn't tell what it was. It came with this bread stick that was really salty and gooooood. sesame in it, i think.

Appetizer 2: crab cakes. came with bitter greens with classic louie dressing (mayo based). I thought it had a little bit too much dressing on, but it was ok. Crab cakes were warm and good!

Main: New York Strip. 14 oz. Medium rare. Very nicely done and very juicy, I loved the way they cooked it. A little bit crispy on the outside and the inside was perfectly done.  Not too fatty either. Came with spicy greens (can't remember the name..!!) and side of caramelized onions. The onions were over salted, but that's okay. I loved it.

Main Dad: Dry-aged Ribeye. 16 oz. Medium rare. It looked delicious. I read that this is one of the restaurant's top menu.

Main Friend: grill 23 earth & ocean. Came with Bacon wrapped prime sirloin, wild trap-caught shrimp (3 pieces), potato au oivre, lobster bordelaise. It looked delicious. Shrimp were pretty big like 2 inches in diameter. 

We shared mushrooms, ginger beets and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes were really good. I'm not a big fan of them, but it was great. Not too creamy. Best when warm!

Dessert: Carmel Profiteroles. Coffee ice cream was the inside of the profiteroles (ahh! just learned this word!) and it came with crispy candied almonds. The caramel was too much, but the hot chocolate sauce that the chef puts on top was amazingggggg! 

Had a great dining. I loved it. Thank you, Dad!!!