Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mandarin Oriental, Celtics, and Oya

Day 2 with Dad!

This morning, we ate downstairs at Asana. 
Started off with their English breakfast tea; as I carried my cup over to my mouth, I was already able to tell the quality difference of the tea from the one I have at the dining hall at the dorm. Already luxury at that point.
There came a mini cocktail of fruit smoothie (strawberry, passion fruit, banana). I think it was all natural, not too sweet. yum.
I ordered the atlantic smoked salmon. Toasted bagel with cream cheese. An option to put little capers, finely chopped red onion, chopped egg (separated into egg yolk and white, cucumber and lemon. The bagel was soft, spread with slight bit of cream cheese (which was good for my dietary intake because i had too much butter last night), sliced tomato, and the main, atlantic smoked salmon. The salmon was thinly sliced; the hotel probably bought it sliced. Some parts were fatty, and it had a good smoked taste to it. I enjoyed my breakfast! Oishikattaaa.

Dad had two soft poached eggs that came with hash browns, vine tomato, and multigrain toast. I have to ask him if the butter was good. Vermont butter.

Dad found the japanese breakfast (miso soup, tofu, seaweed, egg omelet, grilled salmon, steamed rice with umeboshu, kyuri, with green tea), and i was surprised to find a Chinese menu, too. I guess it's Mandarin Oriental. Chinese includes assorted steamed dim sum, plain congee, spring onions, traditional condiments?, jasmine tea and organic soy milk. 

Then walked around Fenway area, and went to the Gardens to watch the Celtics game! Celtics vs. the Chicago Bulls. My first professional basketball game! was excitingggg hehe The Celtics lost, but that's okay because Dad and I had lots of fun anyway. I got a Celtics t-shirt, which everyone else got, too, as a playoff game!

Came back to Prudential center, and decided to have a snack. Ben and Jerry's, although it's not Dad's favorite. We had a newly introduced flavor called, Chocolate Macadamia. It's chocolate and vanilla ice creams with fudge covered macadamia nuts. I think the nuts were salted. I must say that Cold Stone is better. mmm, but B&J was still a good snack.

Oya
Nigiri: Wild bluefin maguro tuna (soy braised garlic, micro greens), soy marinated salmon (truffle oil, gren onion), fried kumamoto oyster (yuzu kosho aioli, squid ink bubbles), Peruvian style toro tuna tataki (aji panca sauce, cilantro pesto), kyoto style enoki mushrooms (garlic, soy), warm eel (thai basil, kabayaki, fresh kyoto sansho), homemade la ratte potato chip (parigord black truffle), ____

Sashimi: kumamoto oyster (watermelon pearls, cucumber mignonette), salmon tartare (cucumber yogurt coulis, argon oil, dill), wild bluefin tuna tataki (smoky pickled onion, truffle oil), hamachi (viet mignonette, thai basil, shallot), shima aji & sea urchin (ceviche vinaigrette, cilantro)

Grilled sashimi of chanterelle & shitake mushrooms (rosemary garlic oil, sesami froth, homemade soy), seared petit strip loin (tiny soked potato, grilled onion, fresh wasabi), house smoked moullard duck tataki (foir gras kabayaki, rima sansho)